Circa 1870s this site, located in what is known today as the Casino Building on the Waldie Plaza, was a warehouse of one of the oldest mercantile firms in Antioch, now known as the Antioch Lumber Company, founded in 1864.
In 1906 Ferd Stamm began to provide entertainment for the public, operating the old warehouse (now called the Pavilion) as a skating rink in partnership with Fred Peters and Roy Beede. They continued this for 4 years, but the new Belshaw building, with its better stage and dance floor, inspired Stamm to remodel it into an up-to-date movie theater. Ralph Beede joined as a partner in the project, but Ferd and his workmen did the actual remodeling.
The roof was raised 3 feet and the floor lowered to make it sloping for the seats. A stage was build at the north end, with dressing rooms underneath the stage. A 20-foot extension was added to the south end to provide a foyer, ticket office and a projection room.
The new theater opened on Oct. 7, 1911, as the Casino Theater. It offered movies and high-class vaudeville acts. The Casino was considered the handsomest and best-equipped, moving-picture house in the country. It served the town for 17 years until Ferd Stamm and Ralph Beede built the El Campanil Theater.
- Location: West First and H Street, Antioch, CA
- Camera: Sony SLT-A77V
- Lens Model: Sony DT 16–105mm F/3.5–5.6 (SAL–16105)
- Focal Length (FF): 24mm, 24mm, 158mm & 27mm
- FNumber: 8
- Exposure Times: 1/400, 1/500, 1/200 & 1/400
- Exposure Mode: Auto bracket
- Exposure Program: Manual
- Exposure Bias Value: 0
- Metering Mode: Pattern
- White Balance: Shade
- Sensitivity (ISO): 400
[slickr-flickr tag=”20150416″ date_type=”taken” sort=”date” direction=”ascending” type=”galleria” descriptions=”on” size=”m800″ options=”lightbox:true”]