2019-12-01 Living with Cancer Day 998

Date: 2019 December 01, at 07:15:05 PST
Weather: 54 °F to 59 °F Cloudy and Rain
Location: UCSF Helen Diller Medical Center at Parnassus Heights, San Francisco, CA

A New Day
Today started at 6:00 with my vitals being taken and my blood being drawn. Results became available at 6:30, with the numbers holding.

I did some cleanup of my overnight devices, iPad, iPhone, and Laptop, ready for use during the day.

It’s 7:15, ready for my 1st walk, on return my breakfast should arrive soon. Got 4 walks around the ward today within 15 minutes. After my return, I cleaned up my bed station, started checking my mail, still a lot of ads for the last day of Thanksgiving and tomorrow’s Cyber Monday. Last but not, resting and waiting for my breakfast.

Breakfast Confusion
Breakfast did arrive around 8:00, but it was a bit short, all I got was a Strawberry Yogurt and a White Roll. It turns out there was some problem with the online system.

Until the real breakfast would arrive around 8:30 the day nurse took my vitals and gave me my regular morning medication.

By 8:20 Dr. Shah my UCSF Oncology doctor came down for her round. She is very happy that I am still walking, even increased my rounds, it will help with the recovery as my condition will drop when I had my last treatment tomorrow morning.

BTW, Dr. Shah will not be visiting me tomorrow, but Dr. Thomas Martin, associate director of UCSF’s myeloma program and director of the unrelated donor transplantation programs for adults at UCSF Medical Center, will see me instead.

Back on normal Schedule
Around 8:45 my schedule was back on normal starting with getting my daily medication a bit late, but that is no real issue. What is important is getting my Anti-fungus Antibiotics on time, which is 9:00 Am and 9:00 PM.

After having taken my medication I started to feel a bit dizzy around 9:15 and took some dizzy medication only to doze off watching TV.

I woke up around 10:15 to take my Treatment Medication, Day 3, Cycle 2. Tonight I will start my last Day.

My 2nd Walk
Dianne and I had our second walk before lunch, it is getting a bit harder to walk our 3 round as the Chemo Treatment is starting to take its toll on my body, however, I did it. Getting back to my room I took a 30 minutes nap before lunch arrived.

Lunch Time and More
Lunchtime was on time, I did order a bit too much, I side effect as my Chemo Treatment is starting to take effect. After lunch, I took along a 1-hour 15-minute Nap, opening my eyes every so often to watch a few moments of TV Dianne was watching.

Around my long nap the day nurse came by to replace my power port dressing, the needle was not replaced.

Afternoon Activities
Being awake after my long nap, I watch some movies on TV from 14:00 to 15:45. I had my shower right afterward before resting a bit until Dinner arrived around 16:45.

Like lunch, dinner was a bit too much as well. I will cut back my orders for tomorrow. After dinner, I rested again and watched some TV.

Evening Activities
I ended the day by watching TV and getting some rest. Around 21:00 (9:00 PM) shortly after nurses shift change, it is time for my night setup. Starting with the Pulse Oximeter being put on and checked out. By 21:30 I put on my CPAP Nasal Mask and let the machine start up automatically by just taking some deep breath.

Around 22:00 the nurse comes with the Chemo medication to start the treatment. Tonight it will be the last of 4 treatment cycles, Day 4, cycle 1. Tomorrow at 10:00 I will receive my last treatment, Day 4, cycle 2. It looks like my body will survive this one.

Treatment Cycle Two
After having finished treatment cycle one, I may get my clean Stem Cells injected either on Tuesday or Wednesday. It will be stage two of the treatment lasting anywhere from 10 to 15 days. This treatment cycle will be rougher than the first one and the question is can my body survive it?